Latin Dance Night celebrates rhythms from Latin America

Latin Dance Night at the Krannert Center for the Performing Arts in February 2017.

Krannert Center for the Performing Arts plans to feature popular music and dance from Latin America and the Caribbean in their semi-annual Latin Dance Night on Friday.

Latin Dance Night, or Noche de Baile Latino, started in February 2017, said Monique Rivera, co-director of engagement at Krannert Center for the Performing Arts, in an email.

The event will begin at 9:30 p.m. and is co-hosted by the Krannert Center for Performing Arts, Krannert Center Ambassadors, Krannert Center Student Association and La Casa Cultural Latina.

This is the third Latin Dance Night and Rivera said she hopes 700 or more people attend. Around 250 people attended the first Latin Dance Night and about 550 people attended the second one. 

The event is free, with funding being drawn from the Student Cultural Program Fee and space provided by the Krannert Center.

Rivera said she and the other coordinators promoted this semester’s Latin Dance Night through social media as well as community and campus contacts. They plan to offer more information on how to get involved with the Krannert Center and La Casa Cultural Latina at the event, she said.

“We hope this event brings together our campus and community to inspire intercultural understanding and foster new connections across cultures,” she said.