Israel Week celebrates 70 years of independence

The Main Quad in the heart of campus. Design editor Cindy thinks this is a great place to relax and catch up with friends.

Students at the University are celebrating the 70th anniversary of Israeli independence with Israel Week, which includes events throughout the week to celebrate the country’s food, history and culture.

Elana Zelden, president of Illini Students Supporting Israel, said this week is meant to celebrate Israel and the University’s efforts in supporting it.

“The fact that Israel is turning 70 is a big milestone,” Elan Karoll, junior in LAS and co-president of Illini Public Affairs Committee, said. “Israel has always struggled to maintain her independence and defend herself. We are really proud of that, but more than that, we are celebrating our connection to Israel here at the U of I.”

The week concludes Saturday with a Shabbat Brunch. Karoll said the events being held throughout the week highlight Israeli culture, cuisine and music.

“Israel is something that we should be proud of, and it’s exciting to look back at where it was 70 years ago, in 1948, until today,” Zelden said. “And how much it’s grown, and how over time it’s become such an important part of the United States and to students at the University.”

Karoll said the University recently signed four agreements with Israeli universities to increase cooperation with them, and he and his organization are celebrating that. He also said University administration recently traveled to Israel to bridge the relationship between the University and Israel.

“We are celebrating Israeli culture. We are celebrating all of the Israeli students here on campus,” he said. “We are celebrating the Jewish community and their connections to Israel.”