Campus bars expect smaller crowds over finals week

By Yanchao Zhao, Contributing Writer

While some students might be taking a break from going to the campus bars during finals week as they prepare for the upcoming exams, others find they prefer studying in the bar environment.

Margaret Whalen, the student manager at Murphy’s Pub, said the customer flow during the week of finals is dependent on customers’ personal schedules.

“The sales decrease like 25 percent in this weekend, as people may study at home during the weekend,” Whalen said. “And the increase usually comes in the (middle) of (the) week.”

For some students preparing to graduate, saying goodbye to their favorite bar and sharing it with their families is a must despite the busy finals season, Whalen said.

“People want to bring their parents to a bar, sit down and eat food. It’s not too crazy,” she said.

Sometimes, students choose to study in bars for the Wi-Fi and food, which is one of the reasons customer numbers increase during the week, Whalen said.

One such student is Grant Neal, junior in LAS, who said he likes to review his notes and study at bars.

“I like life atmosphere in a bar. It feels alive. And foods and buzz are not far away,” Neal said.

A niche place like a bar may be preferable when compared to an environment of a crowded library, he said.

Peter Goss, alumnus from Business, said he does not think studying in bars is such a good idea.

“Finals are the last chance to do good, so you have to study a lot,” Goss said. “If you come here too much in the semester, that’s why they can’t come too much in the end because they have to study one last time.”

Namrata Sreejith, graduate student in LAS, said in a message that campus bars have fewer customers than usual during finals week.

“I think it’s quieter in terms of having grad students, but I still do see undergrads,” Sreejith said. “Although, it’s not as crazy, otherwise.”