Victim targeted in overnight shooting

Police cars near the scene of the shooting around 1 a.m. on May 13. A suspect, 20-year-old Devon Cooper from Danville, Illinois, has been arrested by the Champaign Police Department in relation to the case.

Patrick Li

Patrick Li

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Managing Editor for Reporting

A 21-year-old male from Danville suffered serious gunshot wounds around 12:45 a.m. on Sunday. The victim and his friends were walking back to a vehicle after a party on the 1100 block of South Second Street when he was shot.

Police believe the male was the “intended target,” and there are no indicators it was a “random act,” according to a press release sent out Sunday morning.

No suspect information was provided.

Those with information are encouraged to contact Champaign Police Investigations Division at 217-351-4545 or Champaign County Crime Stoppers at 217-373-8477. An award of up to $1,000 will be provided to anyone with information leading to the arrest of a suspect.

About the Writer
Jessica Bursztynsky, News Editor

I am a journalism student focusing on news-editorial writing with a minor in politicalsScience. I transferred into the University in fall 2016 from a community college and began working as a news reporter at The Daily Illini. After spending time as a reporter, I was chosen as the News Editor for the 2017–2018 term. If I’m not working on a story, I’m usually alternating between episodes of The Office and Parks and Recreation, eating breakfast foods or convincing myself to go on a run.