Police shoot allegedly armed student in Campustown

A+police+officer+shot+an+allegedly+armed+student+in+the+leg+Thursday+afternoon++near+John+and+Locust+streets.+The+23-year-old+male+suffers+non-life+threatening+injuries+and+has+been+taken+to+the+hospital.+
A police officer shot an allegedly armed student in the leg Thursday afternoon  near John and Locust streets. The 23-year-old male suffers non-life threatening injuries and has been taken to the hospital.

A police officer shot an allegedly armed student in the leg Thursday afternoon near John and Locust streets. The 23-year-old male suffers non-life threatening injuries and has been taken to the hospital.

Therese Pokerney

Therese Pokerney

By Jessica Bursztynsky, Staff Writer

A University student was shot in the leg by police near Locust and John Streets Thursday evening after officers responded to a call regarding a person loading a semi-automatic handgun.

The 23-year-old male’s name has not been released at the time of publication. He is described as white with brown hair, medium height and wearing a short gray T-shirt at the time.

“Upon searching the area, officers came into contact with an armed person matching that description and ordered him to drop the gun. The man did not comply with officers’ orders,” according to the press release. No officers were injured in the event.

Officers performed basic first aid and the suspect was transported to the hospital for further treatment. The student is not believed to be in life-threatening condition, according to the release.

The press release stated both the University of Illinois Police Department and the Champaign County Sheriff’s Office are following protocol regarding officer-related shootings, and Illinois State Police will take over the case.

UIPD said the investigation is ongoing.