Attorney withdraws from Suburban Express lawsuit

Ben Tschetter

A Suburban Express bus departing from the Armory on Dec. 8. Attorney James Long, counsel for the defense, has withdrawn from the lawsuit filed by the Illinois Attorney General against the bus company’s owner, Dennis Toeppen.

By Brooke Eberle, Brand Manager

Attorney James Long has withdrawn from the defense counsel for Dennis Toeppen, owner of Suburban Express, in the lawsuit from the Illinois Attorney General.

According to Long’s motion, Long wrote the “Movant and Defendants have reached an impasse regarding strategic decisions regarding the defense of this matter and how to further proceed in this litigation.”

Long also wrote the counsel did not have enough funds to pay their lawyers due to to a lawsuit from Suburban Express’ business insurers.

Suburban Express was served by Manufacturer’s Alliance Company, one of their insurers, with a declaratory judgment action. The Hartford, another insurer, has denied coverage and has indicated it will also be filing a declaratory judgment action.

“Defendants do not have funds to pay counsel and have accumulated a substantial past due balance with movant for his work on this case,” Long said.

Long and Toeppen could not be reached for comment.