CPD sets up internet exchange locations to keep online shoppers safe

By The Daily Illini staff report

The Champaign Police Department. has set up internet exchange locations to combat the safety risk associated with online transactions in its parking lot. 

As online shopping grows more popular, people often meet in private locations, which may be unfamiliar to them, for the offline exchange of money and goods. According to the CPD press release, this can lead to criminal activity.

After a suggestion from a community member to look into exchange locations for internet purchases, the CPD decided to implement the service, said Thomas Yelich, assistant to the police chief for community services for CPD, in an email.

“As we do with all suggestions, we investigated this program’s merits and determined it would be a worthwhile and important service to provide,” Yelich said. 

Internet exchange locations are becoming more popular throughout the United States, Yelich said.

The location in Champaign features two well-lit parking spaces on the north end of the police station that will be under 24-hour video surveillance, the press release said. However, officers will not be actively monitoring the area.

The Champaign Police Department still encourages residents to always practice caution in conducting sales such as bringing a friend to the transaction, using cash to make a purchase and engaging in sales only with locals. 

“We are happy and excited we were able to create an outdoor Internet Purchase Exchange Location for our residents,” Yelich said.