UI police officer accused of inappropriate behaviors

By The Daily Illini staff report

The University Police Department failed to stop years of inappropriate behaviors by veteran training officer Brian Tison, according to a Monday report by the News-Gazette. 

Michelle Kaeding, who joined the UIPD in June 2015, filed a formal complaint regarding Tison’s behavior.

There was one Title IX complaint, which alleged the officer was acting inappropriately toward a female colleague, Craig Stone, executive director of public safety and chief of police, said in an email.

Tison is no longer a field training officer, but whether or not he has been fired from the department is unclear at the moment. 

Stone said once the leadership team was made aware of the allegations in 2017, an investigation was started.

“The department launched an internal investigation and then quickly turned it over to the University’s Title IX office, which conducts an investigation into whether the behavior violated University policies,” Stone said.

He said the team was made aware of the allegations by a third-party who was uninvolved.

According to Kaeding and other unnamed female officers, Tison’s behavior included playing with their hair, hugging and engaging in conversations involving sexual suggestions.

In response, Tison told the investigator he only saw Kaeding as a friend and would have stopped any actions if the female officers at any point felt uncomfortable.

“No matter the finding, I have made clear from my very first days at UIPD that inappropriate behavior in the workplace will not be tolerated,” Stone said. “And I have taken steps to develop a workplace environment that is welcoming and supportive for all employees.”

University Spokeswoman Robin Kaler did not respond in time for publication.