Illinois to construct new Feed Technology Center

Photo courtesy of Rodney Johnson

The University is moving ahead with a new Feed Technology Center to replace the 1920s-era feed mill south of campus in Champaign. The new facility will allow for researchers to further study animal nutrition and feed technology.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

The University is constructing a new Feed Technology Center for the College of ACES to replace the old feed mill at the corner of St. Mary’s Road and Fourth Street in Champaign. The new mill will cement Illinois as a nationally recognized innovation hub in animal nutrition, according to the press release.

Rodney Johnson, professor in ACES and head of the Department of Animal Sciences, said the Feed Technology Center will open new opportunities to students and faculty at its new location.

“The Feed Technology Center will allow the University and department to continue being a center of excellence in an area that is critical to promoting the health and well-being of animals while addressing issues related to food insecurity in a sustainable manner,” Johnson said in an email.

The press release said the center will be used by researchers to prepare animal feed ingredients and test them.

Graphic courtesy of Rodney Johnson
The proposed design of new Feed Technology Center to be completed in early 2020 on the University campus at the corner of St. Mary’s Road and Fourth Street in Champaign.

The Feed Technology Center will also enable researchers to perform industry-level work while making sure animals are treated properly. The center is not only meant to replace the old feed mill but to increase the University’s capabilities in the research of animal nutrition

“The new state-of-the-art facility will improve efficiency and expand the department’s capabilities,” Johnson said. “In addition to preparation of experimental diets for livestock and poultry, the addition of an extrusion line will create new opportunities for developing, testing and manufacturing diets to promote health and well-being of dogs and cats.”

The Feed Technology Center would further academic programs in nutrition and feed technology, Johnson said.

The new Feed Technology Center will enable new undergraduate and graduate courses in feed technology. Students will be able to gain hands-on experience through the new center.

Construction is expected to begin in early 2019 and to be completed by 2020.