University hosts events to help de-stress

The+Spurlock+Museum+is+hosting+a+Mindful+Meditation+on+Friday+to+help+students+relieve+stress+during+finals.+

Adam Zhang

The Spurlock Museum is hosting a Mindful Meditation on Friday to help students relieve stress during finals.

By Ashley Fu, Staff Writer

With finals week approaching, many students feel stressed and tired of studying. Here are a few fun, stress-relieving activities that might be just what a student needs to relax. They are also free and open to all students.

Breathe in, breathe out

The Meditation Student Organization will sponsor Prairie Zen Center Meditation and Prairie Sangha Meditation. At the Prairie Zen Center, there will be zen meditation events on Dec. 13 and Dec. 20 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. The Prairie Sangha Meditation will take place on Monday from 6:30-8:45 p.m. at the Quaker Meetinghouse.

The Spurlock Museum will host Mindful Meditation on Friday from 11:30 a.m. – noon in the Knight Auditorium.

The Illini Union and the Krannert Art Museum will have yoga-related activities. SKY Yoga and Meditation will take place at the Illini Union Room 210 at 8:30 a.m. on Friday. Yoga at the Krannert Art Museum will be in the Hood Classroom on Friday from 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Have fun at the library

The Undergraduate Library will host De-Stress Fest on Thursday from noon – 11 p.m. There will be stations where students can participate in activities, such as making crafts.

“We’re going to have stuff from our video game collection, including our vintage video game collection, which was pretty popular last year,” said David Henry, head of the UGL.

At 8 p.m., there will be a special giveaway.

The UGL will not have therapy dogs this semester because the campus no longer allows animals in the library. However, therapy dogs will be available for students during spring finals.

Play with animals

McKinley Foundation is hosting Finals DeStress: Pet before the Test on Monday from 6-8 p.m. at Presby Hall. There will be dogs for students to play with.

Learn how to cope with stress

McKinley Stress Management Peers will collaborate with the UGL’s De-Stress Fest and provide a Positivi-tree station from 2-4 p.m. Students can make stress balls and receive time and stress management materials.

“Stress is normal and something we all deal with. Incorporating stress relieving techniques and tips that can help a person deal and cope with stress in a healthful manner are important life skills,” said Jennifer Carson, stress management coordinator of McKinley Stress Management Peers, in an email.

She said students can find relaxation exercises, such as deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation and relaxing music, in the McKinley Wellness app.

“Regularly doing stress relieving activities and self-care can help a person who is feeling overwhelmed recover a bit more quickly and calmly,” Carson said.