Champaign Police report increase in delivery robberies

Aki Akhauri

Domino’s Pizza located on the corner of First and Green. Due to increases in delivery robbery, the Champaign Police Department is reminding delivery drivers and the public to be cautious of any suspicious activity.

By The Daily Illini staff report

Due to the recent increase in delivery robberies, the Champaign Police Department is reminding delivery drivers and the public to be cautious of any suspicious activity.

Since Nov. 1, 2018,  the Champaign Police Department has received nine reports of delivery robberies where the suspects have mostly stolen food and threatened physical harm to the delivery driver.

Most robbery victims were reported to be pizza delivery drivers who were completing an order.

The Champaign Police Department reminds delivery drivers to not carry unnecessary cash, to be vigilant, to park as close to the delivery location as possible and to call their clients to confirm the order, if they feel there is suspicious activity.

Corey Thompson, manager at Domino’s on Green Street, advises his delivery driver to carry $15 to $17 in cash and a dollar’s worth of change. He also said the drivers make security callbacks if the delivery is in an unknown area.

The department also advises delivery drivers to abide by the robber’s demands and call 911 as soon as possible after the robbery.