Second case of measles reported on campus

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

Following the first exposure of measles last week, a second case of measles has been reported in the campus community.

According to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District, an individual has been infected of measles late January.

The CUPHD identified possible exposure locations the individual was at while infectious with measles: McKinley Health Center, University of Illinois School of Social Work, Carle Hospital Emergency Department and Maywood Apartment Building.

Andrea Cangellaris, vice chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost, said in a mass email that most people are routinely vaccinated as children, however, those who have not been vaccinated, including infants, are at high risk of infection.

CUPHD reported that although the Champaign-Urbana community is highly immunized, both measles outbreaks were of non-immune individuals, Julie Pryde CUPHD Administrator, said in a press release.

High fever, coughing, runny nose, a rash and red, watery eyes are identified as symptoms of measles. According to CUPHD, exposure to sneezing and coughing of an infected individual can cause the virus to become airborne. Physical contact with infected mucus or saliva can also put individuals in high risk of infection.

If an individual is experiencing symptoms, the CUPHD recommends that they stay at home and call their healthcare provider to discuss virus testing prior to visiting the clinic. It is advised that students at the University seeing symptoms should contact McKinley Health Center before visiting.

Medical centers can then provide special arrangements for a measles evaluation while protecting other patients and medical staff from potential infection.