Siblings come to campus

By David Ruvinkskiy, Staff Writer

For many students, being away from their siblings is part of the challenge of leaving home for college. However, they might have an opportunity to enjoy some family fun this weekend at the first Sibs Saturday at the University, hosted by the Parent and Family Programs Office.

Zuri White, parent and family programs manager, said her office wanted to include a day for siblings, as they do for Moms Weekend and Dads Weekend, with events more geared toward the younger generation.  The idea has been in the works  since last semester.

White said several notable activities will be taking place during Sibs Saturday, including a free pancake breakfast, a performance by a mentalist, the Engineering Open House and a bowling and billiards night.

Although the event is open to siblings of all ages, it is primarily geared toward younger siblings who might not be able to experience the campus to the fullest on any other weekend.

“(Engineering) has been doing (an open house) for almost 100 years,” White said. “They do a lot of great programming geared toward a younger population, so we just built on that and worked with them as we built our schedule so we can have it during the same time.”

Christopher Carter, the mentalist, which is a magician who specializes in mind games, will perform during Sibs Saturday, said he will do a two-part show. The first part will consist of his mentalism program and the second part will feature his hypnosis program.

“For one thing, the spirit of fun that’s involved in it will definitely add to (Sibs Saturday),” Carter said. “The other is that siblings and students will have an opportunity to get up on stage and participate. It’s a great way of introducing people to one another and a tremendously fun, interactive event.”

Bailey Maguire, freshman in Media, said she heard about Sibs Saturday through her sorority, Delta Zeta, and her younger sister is planning on coming to campus for the weekend.

“I’m super excited to spend some time with my sister and get to know some of the other girls in the sorority,” said Caitlin Maguire, Bailey Maguire’s sister. “She’s told me a lot of stories, and I really want to meet these girls, and I’m excited to do these different activities and get a feel for the campus and what her whole college experience and her college life is like.”

Because Bailey Maguire did not know about the activities held by the University, her plans for the weekend involve participating in those her sorority offers.

“Hopefully this program will connect our families and our siblings to the University and make them feel invested and a part of the Illini family,” White said.