Campus cafes set to close

Back to Article
Back to Article

Campus cafes set to close

Students walk in front of Espresso Royale, located at 1117 W. Oregon St. in Urbana. This location, along with Starbucks on Green Street, will close its doors in the next month.

Adam Zhang

Adam Zhang

Adam Zhang

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

The next couple of weeks will bring some changes to some popular campus cafes. The Espresso Royale at Daniel and Sixth streets will close on May 17 due to a new development of the block.

According to recent reports, the building had some structural issues and issues with flooding in the past and developers are planning on making it into a “mixed-use space.”

It is hoped the Espresso Royale store will be able to move back into the same space once the developers are finished.  

Additionally, the Starbucks location at Fifth and Green streets will be permanently closed on May 24.

“We would like to thank you for being part of our store community; you are the heart of who we are at Starbucks. It has been a great pleasure to connect with you every day,” a note posted outside of the Starbucks location stated.  

This is a developing story. Continue to follow The Daily Illini for updates.