Urbana kicks off summer with Uncork Wine Festival

By Ethan Simmons, Staff writer

Contrary to what the name suggests, the Uncork Urbana Wine Festival is open to all ages.

Slotted for June 8, the sixth annual Uncork Festival will celebrate Urbana culture in several forms. Attendees can experience local wineries, food vendors and cooking demonstrations in Meadowbrook Park, backdropped by seven hours of live musical performances.

For attendees over 21, $15 buys entry and a wine glass, coming with seven wine-tasting tickets, or five tickets if purchased at the door.

Admission is $5 for those aged 6-20 years and free for children 5 and under. Though they will not get any tasting tickets, there is still plenty for attendees under 21 to enjoy.

Three acoustic groups will play through the event — Jordan and Jill begin at 3 p.m., followed by the Double Dots at 5 p.m. and Love Sign from 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Local caterers Baldarotta’s Porketta and Sicilian Sausage and Piato will provide food at Uncork, supplemented by original recipes from Dish Passionate Cuisine chef Colleen Hatton.

Hatton intends her recipes to pair and combine with the event’s wines, according to the Urbana Business Association press release.

Uncork will have plenty of souvenirs to go around; aside from the complimentary wine glass, Jeff’s Design Shed will customize and laser-etch tumblers and other objects to take home.

Online registration closes June 7 at 5 p.m. Attendees are encouraged to register online to secure the two extra tasting tickets and get the most out of the trademark Urbana summer event.