Gies announces online shift for MBA program

Daily Illini File Photo

Students studying and meeting up for group projects at the Gies College of Business atruim on Nov 14, 2018. Gies’ MBA programs will be available solely online following the graduation of the current class, following trends of anytime and anywhere education programs.

By Hannah Preston

Gies College of Business plans to move their Masters of Business Administration program completely online once the current class graduates.

As Gies Dean Jeffrey Brown announced to stakeholders last Friday, the College will focus investments on their growing online iMBA program and end enrollment in their residential and part-time MBA programs.

The shift includes increased investments in specialized master’s programs, undergraduate programs and “lifelong learning” for professionals to keeping up with changes in the business world, Brown said.

According to Gies Office of Communications, iMBA applications have nearly tripled since the program began in 2016, from 1,100 original applicants to a projected 3,200 in 2019.

Aside from its rapid growth, the iMBA program is notable for its cost and worldwide reach. Gies promises the program to cost under $22,000 for all students.  

Of 2,600 iMBA enrollees, over 20% are international students, representing 91 different countries.

“Given the global reach and accessibility of this program, we are creating what I call the world’s MBA,” Brown said.

Gies promises to leave the MBA program unchanged for currently enrolled students until they complete their degree.

As the announcement may change applicants minds on attending, Gies extended the deadline to refund deposits for incoming students from June 3-July 1 and offered automatic admission into the iMBA program.

Though Brown said their in-person MBA programs are “excellent,” he cited a declining demand for traditional formats as reason for change.

“The iMBA is the right format for the times – providing a powerful learning experience with anytime/anywhere accessibility at an affordable cost,” Brown said.