Fire near apartment building causes power loss, resident displacement
June 9, 2019
A resident of an apartment building on Green Street discovered and reported a fire Saturday around 11:56 p.m.
According to a City of Champaign press release, firefighters found flames in the back of the apartment building located at 509 E. Green St. The flames extended to the building’s electric meter bank.
The fire originated in a trash receptacle, and firefighters were able to extinguish it with dry chemical extinguishers.
Two individuals are responsible for the start of the fire, according to security footage in the area, determining it incendiary. Because of this, the Champaign Police Department is now a participant in the investigation.
No injuries were reported; however, several residents of the apartment building were displaced because of the fire. The building also lost power.
“The Champaign Fire Department reminds all citizens to maintain a working smoke alarm in their place of residence and to have and practice a home escape plan,” the press release said. “Smoke alarms can provide early notification when seconds count.”