City of Champaign urges caution on Independence Day

American flags line the sidewalks of the Main Quad in remembrance of 9/11 on Monday, September 11.

By Hannah Preston, Interim editor-in-chief

The following guidelines for released by the city of Champaign for residents and visitors to keep in mind when partaking in Independence Day festivities. The city also reminds residents and visitors to leave fireworks out of the celebration and instead enjoy professionally organized shows.

In 2018, approximately 9,100 fireworks-related injuries were presented at emergency rooms across the United States, and 62% of those events occurred in the month surrounding the holiday.

• Be sure you are using legal fireworks, such as sparklers.  Remember, sparklers might seem like a safer alternative; however, they can heat up to 1,200˚F. Do not allow children to use them without adult supervision.
  • Generally, any fireworks that have to be lit by a wick and/or shoots into the air are illegal in the City of Champaign. There is a minimum $205 fine for the use of illegal fireworks.
  • Use all fireworks outside, away from homes, people, trees, dry grass or any other flammable substances.
  • When handling fireworks always have a bucket of water and a fire extinguisher on standby.
  • If injured by a firework, go to a doctor immediately. If it is an eye injury, do not rub the injury, as it may cause more damage.
  • The best way to prevent firework injuries is to not use them at all. Attend public firework displays and leave the igniting to the professionals.

More specific information regarding the rules and regulations surrounding fireworks can be found in the City of Champaign Municipal Code of Ordinances, specifically in Chapter 13, Article II.