Gas leak reported at English Building on Monday

A+Champaign+Fire+Department+firetruck+leaves+the+scene+on+Wright+Street+around+12%3A15+p.m.+The+English+Building+and+Henry+Administration+Building%2C+both+located+on+Wright+Street+were+evacuated+due+to+a+reported+gas+leak+Monday.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Gas leak reported at English Building on Monday

A Champaign Fire Department firetruck leaves the scene on Wright Street around 12:15 p.m. The English Building and Henry Administration Building, both located on Wright Street were evacuated due to a reported gas leak Monday.

A Champaign Fire Department firetruck leaves the scene on Wright Street around 12:15 p.m. The English Building and Henry Administration Building, both located on Wright Street were evacuated due to a reported gas leak Monday.

A Champaign Fire Department firetruck leaves the scene on Wright Street around 12:15 p.m. The English Building and Henry Administration Building, both located on Wright Street were evacuated due to a reported gas leak Monday.

A Champaign Fire Department firetruck leaves the scene on Wright Street around 12:15 p.m. The English Building and Henry Administration Building, both located on Wright Street were evacuated due to a reported gas leak Monday.

A natural gas leak was reported at the English Building on the corner of Wright and Daniel streets Monday morning. 

The Champaign Fire Department received the initial call of the leak at 11:07 a.m. Students received an Illini-Alert at 11:28 a.m., telling them to avoid the area. The leak was repaired at about 12:30 p.m. 

The cause of the gas leak was an MCORE Project contractor striking an Ameren gas main pipe, according to an email from Steven Breitwieser, manager of communications and external relations at Facilities & Services.

According to public information officer at the Champaign Fire Department Randy Smith, the energy company Ameren was called to the scene. The company shut off the gas in the area to help mitigate the leak and remained in the area to make repairs. 

The gas main pipe needed a complete repair so service could be restored to impacted buildings by the afternoon, Breitwieser said. 

“The ventilation systems of some nearby university buildings were closed briefly to limit the intake of the gas odor,” Breitwieser said. “However, the amount of natural gas never reached a level hazardous to occupants.”

The Champaign Fire Department and Urbana Fire Department were both at the scene to monitor the area.

An Illini-Alert was sent out at 11:56 a.m, warning students not to cross Wright Street at Daniel or Chalmers streets while crews addressed the gas leak. It advised pedestrians needing to cross Wright Street to do so at Green Street, John Street or Armory Avenue.

The final Illini-Alert at 12:38 p.m. stated the gas leak was resolved and pedestrians could start crossing Wright and Daniel streets again.

[email protected]