National Public Radio hosts forum for sexual misconduct reform

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

Students and staff of the University and reporters from National Public Radio and ProPublica are partaking in an event Tuesday evening called, “Faculty Sexual Misconduct Reforms: A Way Forward.”

“The aim of the evening is to explore ideas related to the issue of sexual harassment at the U of I Urbana-Champaign campus, especially sexual misconduct perpetrated by faculty and staff,” according to a Facebook page for the event.

The event, which will take place in room 66 of the Main Library, will feature five panelists including Sudarshana Rao, head of Students Against Sexual Assault; Ali Mirza, chief of staff for Illinois Student Government; Robin Kar, professor in Law and head of the Faculty Sexual Misconduct committee; Rachel Otwell, NPR Illinois journalist and lead reporter for the ProPublica Local Reporting Network series and Sarah Colomé, director of the Women’s Resource Center.

T. Christian Miller will be the event’s moderator, who is an editor with ProPublica.

“He has covered sexual violence in the U.S. and internationally and co-authored ‘An Unbelievable Story of Rape’ which was the basis of the new Netflix limited series, Unbelievable,” according to the Facebook page.

The panelists will be speaking to attendees of what might be missing from the conversation, as each panelist has a different area of expertise.

“They hope to illuminate some potential ways forward with the help of the audience’s input,” the Facebook page said.