CU sees variety of crime this semester

By Julie Kang, Assistant News Editor

Case against former UI professor accused of sexual misconduct continues

Two former University students and a professor from Wesleyan University in Connecticut filed a lawsuit on Sept. 10 against Gary Xu, who was accused of physical, emotional and sexual abuse.

Noose found in Allen Hall elevator

A noose was found hanging in the elevator of Allen Hall on Sept. 1. Andrew Smith was arrested the next day, Sept. 2, on the charges of misdemeanor, disorderly conduct and for conducting a hate crime. 

Multiple swastikas found drawn on campus

The first swastika was found on Oct. 7 and was reported by a student. It was carved into the wall in a bathroom stall of the Foreign Languages Building.

On Oct. 10, the second swastika drawing was found drawn on the wall of a bathroom stall in Taft Hall by a resident adviser. 

The following day on Oct. 11, two more swastikas were found: one by a student in an elevator at Weston Hall and another by a University employee on a table at the ACES Library. These were discovered separately from each other.

Man shouts racial slurs while driving truck with Confederate flag

Witnesses reported on Oct. 23 a young white male was yelling racial slurs at passers by in a student-heavy area. His white Ford pickup truck was decorated with the Confederate flag.

Former University employee charged with musical book theft and sale

Thomas McGeary, 71, was discovered stealing and selling rare music books from the University’s Music Library after a vendor who had purchased a book from McGeary tried to sell it to the Rare Book and Manuscript Library.

Judge Adam Dill arraigned him on a Class 3 felony theft charge, which ranges in penalties from probation to two to five years in prison. Until his next court hearing scheduled for Jan. 28, however, McGeary remains free. 

Racial slur found written in bathroom stall of Armory

A student reported to the University Police Department on Nov. 7 a racial slur was written in a bathroom stall at the Armory. The writing was immediately removed, according to the UIPD report released Nov. 8.

Homeless man found guilty of stealing laptops in Main Library

Jason Dalton, 40, pleaded guilty on Nov. 19 to stealing two laptop computers from a storage area in the Main Library July 13. Dalton was caught on security camera footage walking out of the library on that day. He was seen with two bags slung over his shoulder.

The laptops had a total value of over $1,000. He was sentenced to two years of probation.

Two overnight shootings in Champaign

The first shooting occurred in a parking lot on Nov. 22 in the 2400 block of West Springfield Avenue. Champaign Police reported two male victims shot with serious injuries, though not life-threatening. Both victims were taken to a local hospital. 

The second shooting happened a few hours later on Nov. 23 in the 600 block of West Bradley Avenue. Two male victims were found shot outside of a private residence and were taken to the hospital with serious injuries, though not life-threatening. Preliminary investigation states the victims were sitting in a vehicle when another vehicle drove up, fired and drove away.

Two arrested for attempted robbery at Illini Union

On the night of Nov. 26, two people approached a student standing near the entrance of the Illini Union. One offender complimented and pulled at the student’s backpack, and the other offender struck the student. Both ran away after. A Massmail on the incident reported nothing was stolen, and the student was not seriously injured. 

It was later revealed the offenders were both 18 years old and from Urbana but were unaffiliated with the University. They were arrested on Nov. 27.