Lunar New Year celebrated with traditional dinner at the Ikenberry

Mark Capapas

The Alma Mater decorated in commemoration of Chinese New Year on Feb. 5, 2019.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

The Year of the Rat is officially upon us as the Lunar New Year is being celebrated by many. Traditionally a Chinese festival, the Lunar New Year celebrates the new year on the traditional moon calendar.

To celebrate this year, the Asian American Cultural Center will be hosting a dinner celebration on Tuesday at the Ikenberry Commons, 301 E. Gregory Drive, starting at 5 p.m.

For this dinner celebration, the Asian American Cultural Center is collaborating with University Housing.

Attendees can expect to free performances, arts and crafts as well as a themed meal. The dinner is not provided free for those who are interested in attending and do not have a meal plan. According to University Housing, a dinner would cost $15.48.

Some performers that will be in attendance include the Champaign-Urbana Chinese Folk Dance Club, Gah Rahk Mah Dahng, Philippine Student Association, Chinese Students Scholars Association and Vietnamese Student Association.

Additionally, arts and crafts will be provided by Alpha Kappa Delta Phi, Alpha Phi Gamma, Asian American Association, Korean American Students Association, among many other organizations at the University.