University offers tax return assistance program

Ryan Ash

A graduate accounting student assists local community members to help prepare them for their tax returns at Wohler’s Hall on Tuesday evening.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

Starting Tuesday evening, the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program began to provide free tax assistance to low-income, elderly, disabled and limited English-speaking taxpayers.

Students from the Gies accounting program will work with these taxpayers to prepare their tax returns. Graduate accounting students with a specific interest in tax will oversee the program.

“They have tax-related work/intern experience and/or have demonstrated excellent technical knowledge of tax,” according to a Gies press release. “They have also been highly recommended by their instructors and have demonstrated exceptional leadership abilities.”

Mandi Alt, an instructor in Business, is guiding the program this year. Alt brings 20 years of tax experience to the college.

The VITA program will be hosted in 152 Wohlers Hall on Tuesdays and Thursdays until April 9. Appointments will begin at 6 p.m. each night and are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis.