Students in Europe “strongly advised to depart” countries

Photo Courtesy of Tribune News Service

A woman wears a mouth and nose mask in front of a pharmacy. The first case of the corona virus in Germany has greatly increased the demand for breathing masks in pharmacies.

By Samantha Boyle, News Editor

Students studying abroad in Europe were sent an email Tuesday strongly advising them to return back to the United States. The University is not suspending programs at this time and is not requiring students to depart.

The University is continuing to monitor the situation in Europe and has the ability to suspend programs if necessary.

“While we prefer not to make such decisions; the health and safety of our students is always our first priority,” the email stated.

Suspensions of programs could take place if a country’s travel advisory rises to Level 3 or 4, if there is significant spike in infections across cities or countries students are in, if there are cancellations of flights between Europe and the U.S. or if there is a continued cancellation of in-person classes.

This follows as students, staff and faculty were required to come home from Italy and South Korea last week.