Local leaders issue statement about coronavirus

By Paige Leden, Assistant Daytime News Editor

Local government leaders released a statement Thursday regarding the coronavirus and its impact on the area. They stated they are aware the virus will impact the community and are committed to the health, safety and welfare of the community. Though the extent of the impact continues to be fluid and unknown, immediate steps are being taken to slow the spread of the virus. 

Local government agencies are also working to ensure essential public services continue to operate, such as police, fire and emergency dispatch operations, and public infrastructure is maintained. According to the statement, measures have been taken to properly equip the first responders with gear to protect themselves and the community they serve. 

Government agencies and the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District remain in contact to ensure the public has accurate and up-to-date information. They encourage the community to take action to help slow the spread of the virus, including staying home when sick, avoiding large gatherings and following all public health guidelines. 

The government leaders also stated they’re working on determining which government-sponsored events and meetings will be postponed or canceled to reduce public exposure to the virus.