CampusTown Urgent Care offers drive-up COVID-19 testing

Brian Bauer

A sign outside CampusTown Urgent Care tells patrons how to use their new drive-thru Coronavirus testing services on Tuesday.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

Right outside of CampusTown Urgent Care, 631 East Green St., patients can drive up to the site and get tested for COVID-19, an urgent care staff member told the News-Gazette.

Drive-up testing will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

CampusTown Urgent care has already been offering COVID-19 inside the clinic, but just started to offer the drive-up option.

Patients wanting to be tested inside their vehicles should register at covidtest.center where they will be asked how many people are being tested and demographic questions.

Dr. Thomas Pliura had initially planned for drive-up testing last week at Champaign’s First Christian Church, the News-Gazette reported. However, the church withdrew the hosting site due to the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District trying to stop the offering of public testing. Pliura had to find other options.

As of Tuesday, the Illinois Department of Health announced 1,287 new COVID-19 cases including 73 additional deaths. Champaign County has reported over 60 cases.