University cancels study abroad for fall semester

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia

An overview of Paris as seen from Saint-Jacques Tower on Aug. 11, 2013. France is a country many University of Illinois students choose to study abroad in.

By Heather Robinson, Assistant Daytime News Editor

The University announced on Wednesday that all study abroad programs for the fall semester will be suspended through Jan. 15.

The suspension applies to exchange, study abroad, faculty-led, direct enroll, and provider programs. In addition, all fall semester inbound exchange student programs from partner institutions were suspended.

There will be no permitted exceptions for the fall semester. Those who choose to study abroad will not have support or connection through the University, including international insurance, pre-articulation of course credit, or study abroad options through the University.

Students that already applied for these programs are currently being notified by study abroad offices. Decisions regarding programs beginning after Jan. 15 will be further evaluated in August or September.

This announcement comes from the Chancellor and Provost who made the decision to extend the suspension. The University released the following statement through Illinois International.

“The University understands that this decision has wide-ranging implications for students, academic departments, study abroad offices, and our partners. Though this decision may feel premature in a rapidly changing environment, leadership is making the decision now to support fiscal prudence for our students and the University, provide academic predictability and planning, acknowledge the unpredictable nature of COVID-19 and international responses and account for other unanticipated effects from the pandemic.”