Delayed registration begins amid fall semester uncertainty

By Michael Caruso, Staff Writer

Registration for summer and fall semester classes began April 20. While summer classes are already confirmed to be online this year, University administration is uncertain whether fall classes will be online or in-person. 

The University delayed registration for both the summer and fall semesters for two weeks to adjust for online summer classes. 

Registration time tickets began April 22 for seniors, April 27 for graduate and veterinary medicine students and April 29 for juniors. Time tickets start May 1 for international exchange students, May 4 for sophomores and May 7 for freshmen. 

“Once the decision was made to offer summer courses remotely, the process of updating the summer schedule went smoothly,” said Registrar Meghan Hazen. “Delaying registration by two weeks allowed us to complete the updates prior to the start of registration.” 

The situation for the fall semester is uncertain, and classes may need to adjust their curriculum or be canceled if online instruction continues.

“At this time I’m afraid we do not know if on-campus instruction will resume,” said Provost Andreas Cangellaris in a Q and A session. “Obviously we continue to take guidance from our state leaders, from the CDC and the federal government. These are very important things that we need to keep in mind. This needs to be done in a manner that looks after the well-being of everyone. We want to make sure that our ability to offer classes in the best possible way is not interrupted by anything.”  

Cangellaris also said that this semester was a learning experience about online classes for instructors and hoped to bring together a variety of faculty to provide a better experience for students. 

“If we have to continue online or partially online, in some semi-normal situation, how can we do it better? How can we help everyone to feel much better about the way they engage in the community online?” Cangellaris said.

A Massmail on April 28 from UI President Tim Killeen indicated that the University plans to be in-person in some way during the fall. However, full details on what this will look like were not provided.

“The fall semester may not look exactly the same as when you left our campuses,” said Killeen in the Massmail. “But I am confident that with the appropriate protocols in place, we will restore much of our face-to-face teaching, as well as lab-based research, residential life and the other unique benefits that make our campus communities second to none.”

The Massmail also notes that class sizes and occupancy in residence halls and campus events will be affected in the fall semester if students return to campus.