University Board of Trustees to vote on new intimate relations policy

By Michael Caruso, Staff Writer

The University of Illinois Board of Trustees will vote on an expanded intimate relations policy on May 21. The proposal follows recommendations to prohibit University staff from having romantic or sexual relationships with undergraduate students. 

The resolution is being passed at a time when few students are on campus, but it is part of a longer process that began in 2018.

According to Tom Hardy, executive director of University Relations, this policy is being introduced after UI President Tim Killeen organized a task force on sexual misconduct in October 2018. This task force presented recommendations for policy changes to the Board of Trustees. 

“The task force was created by President Killeen because we were seeing sexual misconduct issues arise at other universities across the country and he wanted to ensure that our practices, policies and procedures were the best they can be,” said Barbara Wilson, UI executive vice president. 

According to Wilson, the student code has already prohibited relationships between faculty and students taking faculty courses. The policy will expand this restriction to cover relations between undergraduates and university staff and will be publicized in areas other than just the student code. 

“These changes are important,” Wilson said. “Because they recognize there are potential, serious conflicts of interest in such relationships that can be harmful to individuals and can undermine our educational and research missions.”

The Board of Trustees resolved to adopt these changes in November. The resolution said the issue is important enough for changes to be implemented as soon as possible.

While the text of the resolution is not yet released, the resolution will address recommendations for “creating a system-wide policy prohibiting faculty from engaging in sexual or amorous relationships with undergraduate students, graduate students in the same academic unit or any student over which the faculty member has authority,” according to the recommendations developed by the task force. 

Similarly, the task force recommended a policy in the resolution “barring any staff member from engaging in a sexual or amorous relationship with any student they supervise” and “creating a system-wide policy requiring candidates for employment to allow the release from current or previous employers any findings of sexual misconduct should the applicant become a finalist.”

Other recommendations from the task force include adopting system-wide definitions for forms of sexual misconduct, prohibiting confidentiality or non-disclosure agreements that could cover up sexual misconduct and requiring University offices to review their individual sexual misconduct policies to be consistent with the recommendations of the task force. 

Wilson said the University intends to be a leader in addressing sexual misconduct and prioritizing the health and well-being of students.

“Students should never be put into a situation involving sexual misconduct or sexual harassment that undermines their educational goals and aspirations,” said Wilson. “Educating everyone about individual rights and responsibilities is the first step, and having policies that support those efforts is part of a larger framework around education and prevention.”