University changes COVID-19 testing schedule

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

All staff, faculty and graduate students are no longer required to get tested for COVID-19 twice a week and instead have been moved to a once weekly testing schedule, the University announced in a Massmail Monday.

The changes come after the University found that more than 95% of all new cases were among undergraduate students.

Therefore, undergraduate students are still required to be tested twice a week and some undergraduates may be directly contacted to be tested three times a week “if we believe you might have a higher risk of recent exposure,” the Massmail stated.

The Massmail was sent by Mike DeLorenzo, Senior Associate Chancellor for Administration and Operations Chair and COVID-19 Executive Steering Committee on Return to On-Campus Operations and Matthew Tomaszewski, Executive Associate Provost for Capital Planning Vice Chair and COVID-19 Executive Steering Committee on Return to On-Campus Operations.

Staff, faculty and graduate students are also encouraged to test on the weekends or on Wednesdays in order to even out the number of tests that are processed daily. They are also still required to show the Safer Illinois app or Boarding Pass in order to get into buildings.

“We are confident these adjustments in our testing schedule will help us further reduce our positivity rate and show the world that our innovative approach can help us all move forward together in these challenging times,” DeLorenzo and Tomaszewski wrote.