Early voting begins in Champaign County

Mark Capapas

Students line up at PAR to vote on Election Day on Nov. 6, 2018. The early voting period in Champaign County began Thursday morning.

By Aliza Majid, Staff Writer

The Champaign County began its early voting period on Thursday morning at the Brookens Administrative Center/Gymnasium in Urbana. 

The Center is located at 1776 E. Washington St. Parking is on the north side of the building, off of Art Bartell Road. The facility opens for voters from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

The location has been changed this year from the Clerk’s office due to the larger spaces needed to accommodate voters and abide by social distancing protocols. 

In a news release, Champaign County Clerk Aaron Ammons encouraged voters to vote by mail if possible, but he said the next best alternative would be to vote early in order to avoid the lines on Nov. 3 and limit exposure. 

Early voting centers will have plexiglass partitions for judges, hand sanitizer, disinfectant spray, masks and gloves to ensure the safety of all participants, Ammons added. 

Eligible voters can vote at the Brookens Administrative Center/Gymnasium on the following dates and times: 

Sept. 24 – Oct. 18, Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Oct. 19 – Nov. 2, Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday — Sunday from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Another 11 sites will open in Champaign County for early voting, from Oct. 19 – Nov. 2. Each of the following sites will be available on weekdays from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. 

Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) – 201 E. Peabody Drive, Champaign, Illinois 61820 

Illini Union – 1401 W. Green St., Urbana, Illinois 61801 

Lake of the Woods, Elk’s Pavilion, 301 Senna Drive, Mahomet, Illinois 61853 

Leonhard Recreation Center, 2307 Sangamon Drive, Champaign, Illinois 61821

Meadowbrook Community Church, 1902 South Duncan Road, Champaign, IL 61822 

Parkland College, Student Life Center, 2400 W. Bradley Ave., Champaign, IL 61821 

Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 802 E. Douglas St., St. Joseph, IL 61873

The Church of the Living God, 312 E. Bradley Ave., Champaign, IL 61820

The Gathering Place (First United Methodist Church), 220 S. Marshall St., Rantoul, IL 61866