Entry age raised to 21 for Campustown bars

Kenyon Edmond

The line for Joe’s Brewery stretched down Fifth St. on Sept. 17. Today, Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen temporarily raised the age of entry to 21 for campus area bars.

By Salem Isaf, Assistant Daytime News Editor

On Thursday, Mayor Deborah Frank Feinen amended Emergency Order 20-24 to temporarily raise the age of entry to campus area bars. The entry age is now 21 and over at all times. 

There is an exception for campus area bars which serve food. Until 9 p.m., these bars may serve customers under the age of 21 food cooked on the premises. Patrons under 21 must leave the business immediately upon finishing their meal, or at 9 p.m., whichever comes first. 

This amendment went into effect at 2 a.m. on Sept. 25, though an expiration date wasn’t listed. 

Local bars were hit with several restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19 as students moved back into Campustown in August.

From Aug. 18 through Labor Day, patrons at campus bars and restaurants were allowed outdoor seating only. People under 21 years of age weren’t allowed into bars past 9 p.m.

Some bars, like The Red Lion and KAM’s, have been checking students’ building entry status on the Safer Illinois app, which displays whether they’ve tested negative for COVID-19 in the last four days.