Several street closures announced in CU

Ryan Ash

A sign warns of a lane closure at the intersection of Church and Randolph on Tuesday afternoon.

By Samantha Boyle, Managing Editor for Reporting

Starting next Monday, State Street in Champaign will be closed between Tremont and Maple streets. Through traffic will not be allowed to pass through, but access to all properties will still be available.

State Street is being closed in order to complete rail and pavement maintenance. The street is planned to reopen on Oct. 16.

Starting Tuesday, a couple of lanes by the intersection of Randolph and Church streets will be closed in order for water main repairs to be made.

According to a Champaign press release, the eastbound lane of Church Street between State and Randolph streets will be closed. The southbound lane of State Street will also not allow any turns east onto Church Street. However, the westbound lane of Church Street will stay open.

In addition, a northbound lane of Randolph Street will be closed between Park and Church streets.

These lanes will be reopened on Oct. 13.

Lastly, one westbound lane of University Avenue will close between Third and Second streets on Friday between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m.

University Avenue will be closed in order for a crane to be able to place equipment at 210 E. University Ave. Westbound traffic will have to merge into one lane.

Construction on Green Street will move between Busey Avenue and McCullough Street starting Thursday starting at 7 a.m. until further notice. This construction is part of the Multimodal Corridor Enhancement Project 5.

Project 5 includes the complete reconstruction of Green Street from Busey Avenue to Race Street and the replacement of all sidewalks and ramps, according to an Urbana press release.

Editor’s note: This article has been updated from an earlier version to reflect the MCORE construction.