University invests in hiring diverse faculty

Kenyon Edmond

An aerial view of the Main Quad is pictured above. The University will be adding funds to support up to 15 new Targets of Opportunity Program-eligible hires through the 2022-2023 academic year.

By Mia Ginocchi, Contributing Writer

The University will be adding funds to support up to 15 new Targets of Opportunity Programeligible hires through the 2022-2023 academic year. The focus of the program is to build a multi-dimensional University faculty through recruiting members of underrepresented groups.

The hiring of TOP candidates is supported through the traditional search process and through a search waiver.

To distribute additional funds, the Office of the Provost announced in a Massmail Wednesday morning it has added two different opportunities for potential hires to apply for faculty search waivers. Colleges may now submit proposals for individual unit hires by March 21.

Colleges may also choose to submit proposals for a cluster of hires that connect with one of the campus priorities outlined in The Next 150 Strategic Plan by May 1. The TOP traditional search process will not be altered.

The University asks all colleges to take part in recruitment searches.

“All units are encouraged and expected to develop the most diverse pool of candidates for their searches, and to leverage all opportunities to accelerate and increase their success in recruiting faculty of color,” said Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs & Provost Andreas C. Cangellaris in the Massmail. “This investment in the TOP program offers our academic units an additional tool in their efforts to recruit and retain faculty of color and further the diversity of excellence here at Illinois.”

According to collegefactual.com, 68.4% of the current faculty at UIUC is white.