CUMTD temporarily reduces weekend services

Eliana Chandra

People board a bus from the CUMTD. Shortage in bus operators cause a reduction in services for the weekend.

By Aliza Majid, Assistant News Editor

The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District will be enforcing a temporary reduction for weekend services on Saturday due to a shortage in operators. This will result in a decreased frequency of the affected routes that passengers should accommodate for on Saturday.

Several trips will be canceled on the afternoon and evening of Saturday, including the 50 Green, 50 Green Hopper, and the 70 Grey, with a complete listing of the canceled trips available on the MTD website.

According to a press release, CUMTD hopes to resume their regularly scheduled trips “as soon as staffing allows.” 

“MTD recognizes the value in all our customers and our employees,” said Autumn Soliman, marketing manager for MTD, in a press release. “We do not take this action lightly and will continue to seek ways to resolve this shortage of personnel. We regret that changing circumstances have led to this service impact.”