Springfield Avenue closes for bridge repairs, construction to last months

Construction+workers+repair+a+pipe+in+October+2020.+The+bridge+on+Springfield+is+closed+and+is+set+to+be+closed+for+months+while+it+undergoes+repairs.+

Ryan Ash

Construction workers repair a pipe in October 2020. The bridge on Springfield is closed and is set to be closed for months while it undergoes repairs.

By Da Yeon Eom, Staff Writer

The Illinois Department of Transportation announced that Springfield Avenue (Illinois 10) over Copper Slough, east of Duncan Road, in Champaign closed Wednesday.

The closure for repairs to the bridge is expected to last approximately two months. Meanwhile, a detour route will be posted. 

During construction, Prairie Gardens can be accessed east of the bridge on Springfield Avenue or from Duncan Road, while Prairie Materials and Illinois Brick Co. can be accessed from west of the bridge Springfield Avenue. 

Passed in 2019, Rebuild Illinois – the largest capital program in state history and the first one that touches all modes of Illinois transportation – is investing $33.2 billion into the state’s aging transportation system. 

As part of the new FY2022-27 Proposed Highway Improvement Program, IDOT is investing nearly $21 billion to improve roads and bridges over the next six years, which will be the second multi-year plan that reflects Rebuild Illinois.