YMCA announces return of Dump & Run

Photo Courtesy of the YMCA

A sign set-up in front of the YMCA shows people the Dump & Run is open. The Dump & Run will be take place from Aug. 18 to Aug. 19.

By Amrita Bhattacharyya, Interim Editor-in-Chief

The YMCA of the University of Illinois announced Wednesday that the Dump & Run will return this August after a one-year hiatus.

The Dump & Run, which was canceled last year due to a COVID-19 restriction, is the local YMCA’s annual community recycling event and one of the largest garage sales in C-U. 

The project aims to reduce litter and consumer waste, save space in landfills, lower dumping costs and provide inexpensive items to purchase. 

The YMCA will hold collection for items Aug. 2 through Aug. 16 at the Stock Pavilion and will also provide free pickup of furniture and bikes on select days. 

The sale will take place on Aug. 18 and Aug. 19 at the same location. 

On Aug. 18, the sale will take place from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m., with free admission to University students and $4 for the general public. 

On Aug. 19, the sale will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. with a $3 bag sale and half-priced furniture. There will be a “free sale” from 2:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.