GEO halts strike, awaits vote on tentative agreement

A person participating in the Graduate Employees’ Organization strike on the Main Quad on Thursday.

By Karen Liu, Assistant News Editor

The Graduate Employees’ Organization has temporarily suspended its strike as members await for the ratification vote on the tentative agreement at 4 p.m. today in Urbana.

The tentative agreement was worked out between the GEO bargaining team and the University after an overnight negotiation Wednesday. The details of the agreement are not available to the public at this time.

“We’re delighted that the GEO worked with us overnight and into the morning to collaborate to find an agreement that works for all of us and is fair to both sides,” said University spokeswoman Robin Kaler.

Liz Matresse, one of the strike captains for the GEO, said there will be an emergency general meeting tonight.

“If we say ‘yes,’ it’s gonna go through. If we say ‘no,’ it will go back to pickets,” she said. “But if the bargaining team has reached a tentative agreement, I’m guessing it’s something good.”

Ben DeVries, graduate student in LAS, said he is excited about the progress and that it is nice to know the GEO is going to be fine if this contact goes through.

This is a developing story. Continue to follow The Daily Illini for updates.