Student government shines spotlight on campus concerns

By Clare Budin, Assistant Daytime News Editor

September 12, 2019

In response to increasing activism and mounting concerns over college expenses, campus divisiveness and student safety, Illinois Student Government is establishing plans to create a more secure and satisfying University experience for all students. Susan Zhou, junior in LAS and speaker tempore of the student ...

ISG supports resolution against national conservative organization

By Kimberly Belser, Staff Writer

April 29, 2019

Executive board members of the Illinois Student Government sent a letter to Texas State University’s student government applauding them for their attempt to ban Turning Point USA, a national conservative organization, from their campus. Student body president Walter Lindwall, senior in LAS, studen...

Law changes guidelines for evidence kits

By Meghana Kaza, Staff Writer

March 14, 2019

A law was signed earlier this year that offers legal protection and provides sexual assault survivors with evidence kits that are to be kept for 10 years, access to showers and police reports at no cost. Previously, if a patient was not ready to make a police report and release the kit, the kits were...

Otter Chaos: mascot referendum fails amidst online havoc

By Ethan Simmons, Staff writer

March 11, 2019

The Alma Otter mascot campaign hit a roadblock Friday; 52 percent of participating student voters voted “no” to adopting the otter as a symbol of the University. The question, “Do you approve of making Alma Otter an official symbol of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign?” on the Spri...

In-state tuition freezes for fall

In-state tuition freezes for fall

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

February 7, 2019

The University will freeze tuition for in-state freshmen for the fifth straight year next fall. The last time the University experienced a tuition freeze of this length was from 1962 to 1968. However, non residents will have increased tuition along with student fees and housing costs, which will keep up wi...

Student commission opens ballot for spring election

By Ashley Fu, Staff Writer

February 5, 2019

The Campus Student Election Commission, administrator of student elections, announced students can vote in the spring 2019 election on March 6 and 7. LeeAndre Mahomes, vice chair of the CSEC, said in an email the CSEC is a group of faculty and graduate students who facilitate elections, oversee the...

Dance RSO encourages beginners to participate

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

February 1, 2019

Dancing Illini, a dance RSO at the University, had a larger-than-expected turnout for its recent free open house session. “Students have a lot of things going on. They are studying very hard, very intensely, and this is a great way to have some fun,” said Janice Vidovic, teaching chair for the D...

UI competes in Big Ten Voting Challenge

UI competes in Big Ten Voting Challenge

By Madalyn Velisaris, Staff Writer

November 5, 2018

The University is participating in the Big Ten Voting Challenge, in which universities are competing to get the most students to vote in the Tuesday midterm election. The challenge is being conducted by the Association of Big Ten Students and has already registered over 32,000 students to vote in this midt...

Deans call for changes to faculty sexual harassment policies

By The Daily Illini staff report

November 2, 2018

Following the case of sexual misconduct and investigation of tenured law professor, Jay Kesan, deans at the University are calling for stricter disciplinary actions against faculty members with sexual misconduct allegations. On Monday, 17 deans sent a letter to Chancellor Robert Jones and Provost ...

Students encouraged to vote at Pollapalooza

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

October 26, 2018

Students were invited to speak to local political candidates and University organizations Friday at Pollapalooza, an event aimed at motivating students to vote in the upcoming midterm elections. The event was hosted by the Illinois Student Government at the Illini Union to help students uncertain abou...

ISG vacancies affect equal representation

By Sana Khadilkar, Contributing Writer

October 25, 2018

Many senate seats still remain vacant in the Illinois Student Government, affecting how each college is represented during voting, but not impacting the overall functioning of ISG, said Alissa Xiao, sophomore in LAS and speaker of the senate. Currently, ISG has eight total vacant senate seats acros...

Political debate addresses hot-button issues

By Sana Khadilkar, Contributing Writer

October 3, 2018

The Illini Democrats and Illini Republicans held their annual debate at the Illini Union’s Courtyard Cafe on Tuesday, discussing healthcare, immigration, tax reform and gun control. The Illini Democrats were represented by Audrey Dombro, president of Illini Democrats and junior in ACES, and Adem Osm...

Next Page »