Law changes guidelines for evidence kits

By Meghana Kaza, Staff Writer

March 14, 2019

Filed under Administration, Around Campus, Illinois Student Government, News

A law was signed earlier this year that offers legal protection and provides sexual assault survivors with evidence kits that are to be kept for 10 years, access to showers and police reports at no cost. Previously, if a patient was not ready to make a police report and release the kit, the kits were...

Otter Chaos: mascot referendum fails amidst online havoc

By Ethan Simmons, Staff writer

March 11, 2019

Filed under Around Campus, Campus Life, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois Student Government, News, Top Stories

The Alma Otter mascot campaign hit a roadblock Friday; 52 percent of participating student voters voted “no” to adopting the otter as a symbol of the University. The question, “Do you approve of making Alma Otter an official symbol of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign?” on the Spri...

In-state tuition freezes for fall

In-state tuition freezes for fall

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

February 7, 2019

Filed under Administration, Campus Life, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois Student Government, News, State, Top Stories

The University will freeze tuition for in-state freshmen for the fifth straight year next fall. The last time the University experienced a tuition freeze of this length was from 1962 to 1968. However, non residents will have increased tuition along with student fees and housing costs, which will keep up wi...

Student commission opens ballot for spring election

By Ashley Fu, Staff Writer

February 5, 2019

Filed under Around Campus, Campus Life, Illinois Student Government, News, Top Stories

The Campus Student Election Commission, administrator of student elections, announced students can vote in the spring 2019 election on March 6 and 7. LeeAndre Mahomes, vice chair of the CSEC, said in an email the CSEC is a group of faculty and graduate students who facilitate elections, oversee the...

Dance RSO encourages beginners to participate

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

February 1, 2019

Filed under Around Campus, Campus Life, Illinois Student Government, News

Dancing Illini, a dance RSO at the University, had a larger-than-expected turnout for its recent free open house session. “Students have a lot of things going on. They are studying very hard, very intensely, and this is a great way to have some fun,” said Janice Vidovic, teaching chair for the D...

UI competes in Big Ten Voting Challenge

UI competes in Big Ten Voting Challenge

By Madalyn Velisaris, Staff Writer

November 5, 2018

Filed under Illinois Student Government, News

The University is participating in the Big Ten Voting Challenge, in which universities are competing to get the most students to vote in the Tuesday midterm election. The challenge is being conducted by the Association of Big Ten Students and has already registered over 32,000 students to vote in this midt...

Deans call for changes to faculty sexual harassment policies

By The Daily Illini staff report

November 2, 2018

Filed under Administration, Champaign-Urbana, Illinois Student Government, News

Following the case of sexual misconduct and investigation of tenured law professor, Jay Kesan, deans at the University are calling for stricter disciplinary actions against faculty members with sexual misconduct allegations. On Monday, 17 deans sent a letter to Chancellor Robert Jones and Provost ...

Students encouraged to vote at Pollapalooza

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

October 26, 2018

Students were invited to speak to local political candidates and University organizations Friday at Pollapalooza, an event aimed at motivating students to vote in the upcoming midterm elections. The event was hosted by the Illinois Student Government at the Illini Union to help students uncertain abou...

ISG vacancies affect equal representation

By Sana Khadilkar, Contributing Writer

October 25, 2018

Many senate seats still remain vacant in the Illinois Student Government, affecting how each college is represented during voting, but not impacting the overall functioning of ISG, said Alissa Xiao, sophomore in LAS and speaker of the senate. Currently, ISG has eight total vacant senate seats acros...

Political debate addresses hot-button issues

By Sana Khadilkar, Contributing Writer

October 3, 2018

The Illini Democrats and Illini Republicans held their annual debate at the Illini Union’s Courtyard Cafe on Tuesday, discussing healthcare, immigration, tax reform and gun control. The Illini Democrats were represented by Audrey Dombro, president of Illini Democrats and junior in ACES, and Adem Osm...

ISG announces appointment of new adviser

By Samantha Boyle, Assistant Daytime News Editor

September 16, 2018

After searching all summer for the right candidate, the Illinois Student Government announced Tuesday its appointment of Alejandro Sune, currently the assistant director for Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, as the new adviser. “Some characteristics that stood out include Sune's commitment to students a...

ISG resumes meetings, lowers transit fee

By Cori Lippert, Staff Writer

January 18, 2018

Filed under Campus Life, Illinois Student Government, News

Illinois Student Government is back in full swing as senators met for their first meeting of the spring semester. Transportation Representative Jacob Rajlich, sophomore in Engineering, said the student transportation fee for next year will be $59, which is $3 lower than this year's fee. Rajlich t...

Next Page »