Green Street shooter convicted with first-degree murder

Robbie+Patton%2C+18-years-old+at+the+time%2C+appears+on+video+from+the+Department+of+Corrections+during+his+arraignment+at+the+Champaign+County+Courthouse+Friday%2C+Sept.+30%2C+2016.+A+jury+found+Patton+guilty+of+first-degree+murder+and+three+counts+of+aggravated+battery+with+a+firearm+on+Thursday.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Robbie Patton, 18-years-old at the time, appears on video from the Department of Corrections during his arraignment at the Champaign County Courthouse Friday, Sept. 30, 2016. A jury found Patton guilty of first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm on Thursday.

Photo by Aaron Navarro

Photo by Aaron Navarro

Photo by Aaron Navarro

By Jessica Bursztynsky, News editor

by Jessica Bursztynsky

news editor

Just over one year after a gun was fired into a crowd on Green Street and killed George Korchev, a jury has convicted 19-year-old Robbie Patton of first-degree murder and three counts of aggravated battery with a firearm.

Five others were also wounded in the Sept. 25, 2016 shooting that broke out after an apartment fight moved outside.

Patton is facing up to 85 years in prison for the murder as well as up to 30 years on each of the aggravated battery counts. Judge Roger Webber set Patton’s sentencing for Nov. 8.

Webber will also decide whether the sentences run one after the other or at the same time.

After being announced as the prime suspect, Patton turned himself in to the Champaign County Police on Sept. 29, 2016. He later pleaded not guilty.

Patton was placed on parole just weeks before the shooting on Sept. 9, 2016, for his involvement in a December 2015 shooting at a Steak ‘n Shake. He served only 8 1/2 months of his initial eight-year prison sentence.