The Daily Illini police blotter for Sept. 14

Lieutenant Joseph McCullough investigates a traffic violation on Friday, Sep. 23 2016.

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

Burglary from a motor vehicle was reported on the 2100 block of North Prospect Avenue around 10:53 a.m. on Sunday. According to the report, the unknown offender(s) broke into the victim’s vehicle and stole several items. 

Theft over $500 was reported on the 3300 block of William Street around 9:46 a.m. on Sunday. According to the report, the male victim reported that his girlfriend stole his gun and some currency. 

Deceptive practices were reported by a student at the University on Thursday. According to the report, the student received a phone call from someone pretending to be a member of the U.S. Marshals Service, who claimed the student’s social security number was compromised and there was a warrant out for her arrest. The caller then instructed the student to send $2900 in Bitcoin to an unknown account to resolve the issue. The student then contacted police after the caller demanded more money. 

Criminal damage to property was reported at the 0-100 block of East Stadium Drive around 8:45 a.m. on Thursday. According to the report, someone cut a holel in a chain link fence to gain access to University property. At the scene, a door to a building on the property was left open, and a toolbox was discovered as missing. The estimated value of the toolbox is $300 and the damage to the fence is estimated at $500. 

An arrest was made on the charges of unlawful use of a weapon and aggravated assault on the 600 block of Cunningham Avenue around 4:02 a.m. on Sunday. According to the report, the arrestee was in possession of a firearm in his vehicle without a valid FOID card or a concealed carry permit. The arrestee then revealed the weapon in a public place and threatened to hurt the victim. The arrestee was then transported to Champaign County Jail and left under the supervision of correctional officers.

Criminal damage to property was reported on the 1300 block of North Lincoln Avenue around 5:27 p.m. on Sunday. According to the report, the unknown offender broke the glass on the victim’s window.