The Daily Illini police report for Aug 16

Lieutenant Joseph McCullough investigates a traffic violation on Friday, Sep. 23 2016.

Nothing to report.

Motor vehicle theft was reported at the University Golf Course in Savoy over the weekend. According to the report, three people reported that someone had broken into their vehicles and stole cash and bank cards which were later used at Champaign retail stores. At least one of the vehicles incurred an estimated $500 in damage during the break-in.

An attempted scam was reported on Friday. According to the report, a student reported receiving an email on July 28 from a person claiming to be a professor regarding employment with UNICEF. After corresponding via text message and email for about two weeks, the unknown person sent the student a check for $2,453.70 and directed the student to deposit the funds in her account. The bank declined the check, and the student did not suffer any financial loss. The emails had come from the campus email address of another University student whose account had been hacked.

An arrest was made on the charges of aggravated battery in the 200 block of North Broadway Avenue around 9 p.m. on Saturday. According to the report, the suspect battered the victim in a public place. The suspect physically resisted officers while being arrested and threatened with officers with bodily harm.