Letter: Wrong justification

I would like to address the opinions of David Wolpa and Jason Baker. I must admit that I too am disgusted with the actions of protesters that threw bottles and committed illegal acts involving violence and intimidation. Such acts by definition are not civil disobedience because of their violent nature and should not be tolerated.

I also agree that Ms. Sharp has every right to voice her support for President Bush as I do to disagree with her. The only thing I recommend to Mr. Wolpa is that the next time he writes an opinion or enters a debate, he should refrain from name-calling. Name-calling weakened your until then well-articulated point, and probably angered people who might otherwise have agreed with you.

As for Mr. Baker, I agree that Americans should be concerned with the plights of oppressed people elsewhere in the world, and we should support and help them. I would like to remind him that in the past we aided both Iraq and Afghanistan militarily and politically, and had little problem with them committing atrocities during their wars with Iran and the Soviet Union. We also didn’t do anything while both regimes were committing atrocities on their own people.

We only became militarily involved when al-Qaida attacked us on our own soil and when Bush implied that Iraq had WMDs and planned to use them on us. As cynical as this may sound, I honestly doubt that Bush would have received widespread support, from conservatives and liberals alike, to wage a costly war justified with the main intention being saving Iraqis or Afghanis from tyranny. My main problem with Bush’s Iraq war is that the justification for it has gone from self-defense to liberating Iraqis. The “liberation” justification is one of convenience for Bush and the far right.

Clark Danderson

graduate student