Letter: Generalities unjust

Terrorism is a problem, but not a problem exclusively within the ranks of Muslims. Was the French Revolution a problem with the peasants? As in the case of the French, great abuses on the part of nobility led to great abuses on the part of peasants. Many idealists of Western civilization rankled with the injustice done to the good nobles as well as the peasants as presented in Charles Dickens’ novel about the French Revolution, A Tale of Two Cities. But who produced the monster of Madame Defarge?

What to do, now that a similar monster-type is loose, is the current problem.

Every society has “bad apples”- people who commit horrible deeds in the name of justice; however, should the deeds of those bad apples be held as representative of that society? Islam means peace and surrender to the will of God.

One verse in the Qur’an states that whoever kills one person is as if they have killed all of mankind. But whoever so saves a person, is as if they have saved mankind. What happened on Sept. 11, 2001, blatantly went against the teachings of Islam. Also, there is a Hadith that states the ink of a scholar is more holy than the blood of a martyr.

Therefore, whoever prevents or limits the education, goes against the basic tenets of Islam.

Terrorism, according to Webster’s New World Dictionary, 2nd ed. (1986), is defined as the “use of force or threats to demoralize, intimidate, and subjugate” one group of people socially and economically while at the same time elevating another group.

By this definition, for example, some U.S. citizens in the New World might have been guilty of terrorism with regard to Africans and American Indians.

Should we then write off U.S. citizens as terrorists?

Widespread generalities such as those given by Elie Dvorin in his column on Sept. 9 are unjust to people who practice the religion and culture of Islam. Additionally, terrorism might more accurately be considered a problem of education and socio-economics as opposed to religion and culture.

Hanan Jassim

graduate student