Letter: In support of Green

There is a growing group of U.S. Jews and other U.S. citizens who support the self-determination of the Palestinian people, and oppose the repressive policies of the government of Israel. Advocacy of such positions in most countries is quite mainstream, but not in the United States, and certainly not in the Jewish community. The peace movements in the United States, Israel and many other countries understand that peace and justice for Palestinians is a prerequisite for diminishing the level of terrorism throughout the world.

It is not easy to stand up for an unpopular cause, especially if it has a direct relationship to your own heritage and cultural life.

Jews and others who have cut through the mythology and mass media distortions about the Middle East have faced a painful realization.

The United States has hindered peace by giving nearly total support to every government of Israel. This negates the need to seriously negotiate.

One of the tools used to maintain this policy is trying to cut off all criticism of Israel by defining it as anti-Semitism. In the same way, U.S. peace activists are declared unpatriotic and said to aid the enemy. Peace and justice are patriotic.

Jews like David Green, who break through the mythology, either are very courageous or foolhardy.

In either case, I write to support my fellow peace activist for his brave commentaries.

Al Kagan

University employee