Opinion: Liberal lies of mass fearmongering

Matt Vroom

Matt Vroom

By Kiyoshi Martinez

The National Annenberg Election survey found that 51 percent of adults 18 to 29 believe that President Bush will reinstate the draft. If you’re one of those 51 percent, do me a favor and don’t vote in this upcoming election, because you’re an idiot.

The liberal-propaganda machine now resorts to lies and fearmongering concerning the Iraq war, because its candidate’s position has no honest way to face the issue. I don’t know what’s more pathetic, the lying liberals or the youth that believe them.

Those who believe Bush wants to reinstate a draft don’t have their facts straight. Maybe they got the same e-mail I did or read it in their friend’s blog. But it’s just what your English teacher told you in high school: “Not everything on the Internet is reliable as a source.”

The infamous “draft bills,” HR 163 and S. 89, are as dead as Dillinger. The House Republicans had to push a vote on the bill to kill this baseless liberal rumor of doom, and the House voted

402-2 against the draft bill. The only two that voted in favor of the bill were both Democrats – Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., and Rep. Pete Stark, D-Calif. Here’s an interesting fact: Both draft bills were sponsored by 17 Democrats and not a single Republican.

Just what would possess Democrats to sponsor such legislation? Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y., primary sponsor of HR 163, said, “I truly believe that decision-makers who support war would more readily feel the pain of conflict and appreciate the sacrifice of those on the front lines if their children were there.” This is another example of liberal stupidity and backward thinking on the Iraq war. I think in Kerry terms, this would be “wrong bill, wrong time.”

It’s truly amazing that all it takes to get Congress motivated to take action is liberal fearmongering and the gullibility of the youth constituency. Of course, it’s not so hard to believe when MTV’s “Rock the Vote” allows speakers like Howard Dean to make statements such as, “If you want a draft, vote for George Bush.” Interesting fact: Howard Dean dodged the draft in 1970, citing a back condition. Do yourself a favor and don’t believe statements made by cowardly politicians.

Last Friday Bush clearly said, “We’re not going to have a draft, period. The all-volunteer army works.” But the left wing keeps pushing the draft issue despite the entire Bush administration clearly saying there is no need or intention ever for a draft. It doesn’t help that liberals paint Bush as a liar and imprint the minds of young voters with an issue that simply doesn’t exist.

Bush is accused of wanting to reinstate the draft. Meanwhile, Kerry has no plans to pull out of Iraq and even wants to increase troop levels. In December 2003, he wanted to magically raise 40,000 volunteer troops to send to Iraq. In February, however, he denied he wanted to send more troops to Iraq. From flip to flop to flip, in Friday’s debate, Kerry again said “I’m going to add 40,000 active-duty forces to the military.” Tell me Kerry, who in their right mind wants to sign up knowing they’ll get sent to Iraq?

Furthermore, I doubt Kerry’s fantasy army would be properly equipped to fight after he voted against that infamous $87 billon bill for Iraqi funding. Granted, the entire bill wasn’t simply for body armor, but $300 million was earmarked to outfit 40,000 troops with armor to stop assault-rifle bullets. Thankfully, the bill passed and more of our troops are alive because of it.

Let’s get the record straight on the liberals’ agenda concerning Iraq. They’ll vote for the war, then try to cut funding. They’ll propose a draft, then spread lies that implies Bush wants to reinstate it. Don’t fall victim to the left-wing tactics and give in to fear. Get the facts, and please vote intelligently.

Kiyoshi Martinez is a junior in journalism. His column runs Tuesday. He can be reached at [email protected].