Opinion: Stewart surprises

Richard Cornish

Richard Cornish

By Editorial Board

(U-WIRE) STORRS, Conn. –

While reaching the New York Times Best Sellers List’s No. 1 spot, Jon Stewart, co-author of the hardcover nonfiction book America (The Book), has received media attention in addition to his popularity as the host of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show.

Last Friday, CNN Crossfire hosts Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson invited Stewart to their show, introducing him excitedly, having a comedian handy. But from Stewart’s first words, viewers picked up the unusual tension in his voice.

Stewart surpassed both hosts when allowed to display his grasp on fair journalism and politics. He said of Crossfire, “You’re hurting America … You’re helping the politicians and the corporations … You’re part of their strategies.” When he offered Begala and Carlson jobs with Comedy Central, the network that “news organizations look to … for their cues on integrity,” Carlson replied, “How do you pay?”

Stewart clearly came to the show with a point to make – a criticism of American media, starting with Crossfire and its “partisan hacks” as hosts. Begala and Tucker were taken aback but exchanged blows while wondering whether this was the same Jon Stewart they invited to their show.

“We need help from the media, and they’re hurting America,” Stewart said, “You’re doing theater when you should be doing debate.”

The interview was rather ironic when taking into account that CNN.com on Sept. 29 published an article titled, “‘Daily Show’ viewers ace political quiz: Survey reveals late-night TV viewers better informed.”

In fact, the popularity of late-night comedy news is on the rise, with Stewart as the centerpiece. Why then, are viewers turning their attention away from “real news” and toward social satire? Seemingly, comedic news shows like The Daily Show manage to cut away more of the fat, the “theater” to which Stewart refers – thus supplying material to the audience with a greater sense of integrity, to add yet more irony.

Stewart’s career with Comedy Central, beginning in 1999, has been uphill. Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry recently made an appearance on the show, treating Stewart with respect and dignity, which Stewart reciprocated. His book America, which combines his trademark comedy with a definite underlying message, has added to his establishment. But, if Jon Stewart was not a made man with a political mind before his interview on Crossfire, he is now. Carlson may have realized this when he said, “Wait, I thought you were going to be funny!” to which Stewart replied coldly, “No, I’m not going to be your monkey.”

Will Stewart ever enter politics? At this point, we don’t know. But, it’s only a matter of time before politically fatigued U.S. citizens, looking for refreshment, come knocking on his door.