Opinion: In defense of Vroom

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Kiyoshi Martinez

It’s remarkable how three panels and 37 words can generate volumes of discussion and debate over topics ranging from censorship to racism. What is unfortunate is seeing a comic-strip artist getting suspended over a joke.

We have The Chicago Sun-Times interviewing alumna Gail Steinberg, who preaches on a soapbox, lecturing how “universities have a special responsibility … to be setting examples.” Funny that she should say that, considering she is a former executive producer of The Ricki Lake Show. You’d think that producing a TV show exploiting society’s problems would take away one’s credibility to talk about the role of responsible media.

What depresses me, though, is not the discussion surrounding the strip, but rather the real reason why we are discussing it in the first place. People have become filled with bitter passion for one simple reason: They forgot how to laugh. For that simple reason, we have The Daily Illini issuing an apology; claims of anti-Semitism; and a severe lack of the funnies in the comics section now that Vroom has been suspended.

I’m still trying to figure out when our society lost its sense of humor. When did it become wrong to laugh at a joke? Why do we feel the need to lash out at those who provide laughter? Why do we choose to vilify artists instead of the roots and causes of society’s problems?

I’ve got a theory: because those are the easiest targets to pick on.

I don’t want to crush Vroom’s ego, but honestly, the work he does isn’t the reason why society has problems with racism. His comic strip does not have the power to invoke a movement of anti-Semitism to oppress the Jewish people. Vroom is just a guy telling a joke that offended people who don’t have a sense of humor.

People looking to put an end to the problem of racism, sexism, etc. should not look to blame artists of our society. Instead, they should be concentrating their efforts on people and institutions who have the power to determine how society functions. If you’re looking for true villains and grave injustices, I suggest moving outside of the funnies page.

Comedians and other artists don’t have the same “duty, responsibility and privilege to report truthfully, accurately and fairly” as journalists do. Instead, their job is to observe society and provide commentary on the nuances of it. In case a few of you missed the distinction, journalists report the news and comedians tell jokes. Despite those who will disagree, Vroom is a comedian.

Comedians have the unique ability to look at the world and make us laugh by pointing out our human behaviors and views. Sometimes they joke about stereotypes based on race, and when they make such comments, they do so under the presumption that the audience knows it is not to be taken seriously.

In fact, comedians make their living based on the idea that nothing they say is serious. Otherwise, they would be politicians.

If you read the strip carefully, you’ll see it’s not Vroom taking a cheap shot at Jewish community, but his character hesitates to tell the joke, not because he’s worried about offending people. After all, he knows his jokes might offend someone. Instead, the character notices that communities often will overreact and harrow the artist because of a joke. Being a comedian, Vroom takes the risk and puts himself out there anyway. Just as he predicted, his fears about the society we live in materialized last week.

My advice to those offended by Vroom’s comic is several-fold. Grow thicker skin, because this won’t be the last time that someone will say something that you’ll take offense to. And if you’re looking to right the wrongs of society, look further up the food chain, because there’s bigger fish to fry. Finally, lighten up and learn to laugh. Who knows, you might live a little longer.

Kiyoshi Martinez is a junior in journalism. His column runs Tuesdays. He can be reached at [email protected].