Column: Congratulations, Iraq

By Chuck Prochaska

The French Revolution lasted six years. The American Revolution lasted a little over six years. An Iraqi democracy was installed in 22 months.

The gestation period for a baby elephant is 22 months. You can lease a Porsche for 22 months. Some political campaigns last 22 months. Yet, in this incredibly short span of human time, the United States of America, with the help of desperate Iraqis, has disposed of the world’s most dangerous dictator and established the second democracy in the Middle East.

Over 8 million Iraqis voted. Men and women. Young and old. Sunnis, Shiites, Christians. They laughed, cried and literally danced for joy. Much like our country last November, they formed long lines outside of polling places waiting their turn to cast their votes for the first Iraqi National Assembly in over 50 years. Not rain, sleet, sand – or threats of terror – could keep these people from choosing their country’s destiny.

With our help, Iraq has finally achieved democracy, and what an incredible achievement this is – I literally felt a lump in my throat as I watched footage of Iraqis going to the polls, many for the first time in their lives. The war in Iraq has been legitimized because of the resounding success of this election, and similar approaches to the replacement of dictatorships with democracies must be pursued throughout the Middle East.

“This proves that we are now free,” said Akar Azad, 19, who voted with his sister and wife.

After voting, the Iraqi’s right index fingers were marked with purple ink to guard against voting fraud. Displaying her finger triumphantly, voter Karfia Abbasi said, “This is democracy.”

Iraqi expatriates living in the United States also voted for their homeland’s leadership in five cities across the nation.

“This day I was born again. I call this day ‘born-again day,'” a 48-year-old voter told a reporter after voting in Southgate, Mich.

“I feel like I’m going to cry. This is my first time ever voting,” said Zeinab Alkhafaji, 20, of Dearborn, Mich.

But where are all the human rights activists? Instead of chanting idle threats at a dictator, the Bush administration acted upon its responsibility to free innocent people. Women have thrown off their veils and voted, political prisoners have been freed from their cells and innocent men have been released from the torture chambers. But where is the praise from feminists? Where is the thanks from the United Nations? Why hasn’t Peace Action or Amnesty International made statements? Amnesty International’s mission is to “end grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression, and freedom from discrimination.” Light all the candles you want, write all the letters you can – but it takes force and power to make this a reality. The truth is, liberals have a lot of good ideas – it just takes a conservative to make them happen.

The fact is that this election was more of a success than anybody could have imagined. A mighty blow was dealt to the insurgency and terrorism everywhere.

Consider this: between March of 2003 and January of 2005, Iraq has gone from being led by terror under a totalitarian dictator to a democratic government chosen by the people.

The price each nation has paid for freedom has been difficult to bear. However, the relative ease of victory and transformation in Iraq should prove to the world that the U.S.-led policy of democratization in the face of terrorism is a successful model. We must take this campaign wherever terrorism thrives, and I’m confident President Bush will pursue such policies. Vladimir Putin, Jacques Chirac and Gerhard Schroeder, I know you’re reading. I forgive your past treason. You must now follow our lead. All freedom-loving nations must offer financial and military support as we march on and end tyranny and terrorism once and for all.

To citizens of the United States: our resolve and patience has finally paid off. To the people of Iraq: congratulations, it’s all yours. To terrorists and dictators everywhere: get ready, ‘cuz here we come.