Opinion: Obstinate & Biased Observer

By Jon Monteith

When it comes to fair and balanced writing, The Orange and Blue Observer never claimed to deserve high marks. After all, this monthly publication is self-described as “The University of Illinois’ Conservative Journal of Events and Opinions.” Highly partisan material is to be expected, and some of the outrageously bigoted articles might even keep liberals entertained for a few minutes.

However, in its recently published January edition, the staff of The Observer made some assumptions that are neither funny nor accurate. Overall, many of these statements left me wondering, “Why did the University of Illinois Student Organization Resource Fee (SORF) ever agree to partially fund this piece of trash?”

For example, there was a photograph in the paper of an “independent, conservative woman” shooting a sub-machine gun. It’s not the photo that bugged me, it was the caption below it, which read, “No feminists here.”

What exactly is that supposed to mean? Though the hoots and cackles of redneck readers may lead you to believe otherwise, there is nothing humorous or clever about this caption. Oh wait, I just got it. Feminists would be opposed to firing guns, because they’re all NRA-hating liberals! Good one.

Now that we’ve established that this caption is not funny, we can move on to the fact that it’s not true. Feminism is the belief in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes. It can also be used to refer to the movement organized around this belief. While many feminists happen to be advocates of gun control, feminist theory could also argue that a woman has the equal right to own and use a gun.

I’m sure there are plenty of gun-owning feminists out there, and it is an insult to the feminist movement to stereotype its members as universally pro-gun control. Could we make exceptions for inaccurate statements like the one in this caption? Perhaps, if they actually contained an ounce of humor or wit, but that’s a hurdle The Observer has yet to overcome.

In another classic example of “what’s the f***ing point,” managing editor Adam Feil attempted to criticize the existence of the Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Concerns. Paying no attention to the actual purpose of the LGBT Office, Feil decided to focus on the fact that this office has a television with cable. Brilliant reporting, Feil.

Feil then goes on to whine about the fact that LGBT students are being provided with “programming that makes them feel more comfortable” while Christian students aren’t being given Bibles by the University. This comparison isn’t witty, nor is it credible. For one, Christian students on campus do not need this sort of accommodation because they are not a minority group facing discrimination. Sure, passionate debates about religion often occur, but how many times has Adam walked down frat row and heard the word “Christian” yelled in a derogatory way? The gay community is not so fortunate, and I don’t think “grin and bear it” is an acceptable way to deal with slurs like “fag” being blurted out at rapid speed in certain parts of campus.

While Feil would have you believe that the Office of LGBT Concerns is simply a room where LGBT students giggle over cable TV shows, that is not the case. It serves as a resource for anyone who is interested in learning about LGBT people, issues and concerns. It also provides support for those who experience homophobia on campus or need support in coping with their sexual orientation. The Orange and Blue Observer should not be reporting otherwise.

Overall, The Observer makes me uncomfortable – not because of its conservative leanings, but because it has neither the satirical quality of The Onion nor the factual basis of a real newspaper. Partisan thought should not be published at the expense of accuracy and decency.